DCU Language Services reserves the right to instigate expulsion procedures arising from sustained absenteeism.
From 20th January 2016 the following procedures will be in place for non EU / EEA students who are subject to immigration requirements:-
- Issues of poor attendance are addressed through the Attendance Policy and Procedures system (Section B3.5).
- When these steps have been exhausted, the company may decide to initiate expulsion process if the situation has not been resolved.
- Any student in this positions will have been notified of the likelihood of expulsion in a previous meeting and via the written final warning (See section B2.5)
- The stages involved in expulsion are:
- 1. Formal meeting with the student, attendance officer and a manager
- 2. (Possible) second formal meeting
- 3. Issue of final warning (written)
- 4. Issue of expulsion notice (written)
- If all the previous steps have been completed, the expulsion procedure is normally activated once a student’s attendance falls to 50% or below.
- However, in all cases, the decision to expel a student is at the discretion of the CEO.
- All expulsion notices will be communicated in writing to the student.These written communications will be signed by the CEO
- Copies of the communications will be forwarded to relevant organizations such as INIS, booking agents, embassies etc.)
- Students expelled for reasons of absenteeism are not entitled to refunds on any part their fees (As stipulated in Terms and Conditions)
The nominated DCULS staff member for absenteeism issues is:
Office VBG11, Dublin City University, Glasnevin, Dublin 9
Telephone: +353 1 700 5678