International Foundation Year
Develop the English language and academic skills you need to succeed in an Undergraduate Bachelor degree at Dublin City University. Find Your Pathway Programme >>
The International Foundation Year programme is designed for International Students who need to acquire English language and/or the academic levels required for entry onto Undergraduate degree programmes at DCU.
The programme is taken on a full-time basis over one academic year (2 semesters) and covers a mixture of core and specialist modules. The core modules are designed to help achieve the English language skills necessary for DCU programmes and help facilitate your adjustment to university learning in an Irish context. The specialist modules allow students a choice of “streams” and subjects according to their chosen destination degree programme.
Identify the DCU Bachelor degree programme that you wish to study. See DCU Prospectus 2021.
You can choose from three stream routes:
If you do not meet the English level requirements to study on the DCU Undergraduate Programmes, you can take one of our Academic English Programmes that are focused on English language preparation.
Are you still unsure about which course or pathway is more suitable for you?
Get in touch with us, we will be glad to help you find the right pathway programme for you!
What will this course offer you?
- Equip you with the knowledge, skills and confidence to commence your DCU undergraduate studies.
- Entry to more than 200 degree programmes available across five faculties.
- Tailored pathway specifically designed for international students.
- Progression into highly competitive degrees.
How can I apply for the International Foundation Year?
- Identify the DCU Bachelor degree programme that you wish to study. See DCU Prospectus 2021.
- The deadline for undergraduate applications is 1 July.
- Submit your application to Intl.Pathways@dcu.ie and receive advice on the appropriate foundation programme for you. If you are still unsure about which course or pathway is more suitable for you get in touch with us. We will be glad to help you find the right pathway programme!
- Your application will be assessed and if approved you will receive an offer to study on both the Foundation programme and Bachelor degree programme at DCU.
- Successful completion of your foundation programme guarantees progression to your DCU Bachelor programme.
Entry Requirements (Academic)
The following are the academic requirements for entry to the DCU International Foundation Year programme.
- Good overall results from a high-school qualification equivalent of 5 GCSE’s in A to C grade range including Mathematics and English.
- Are you still unsure about our academic entry requirements? Get in touch with us. We will help you to identify the right pathway for you.
Entry Requirements (English Level)
Direct entry into the DCU International Foundation Year Programme requires the following English level:
- IELTS: Overall score of 5.0 or above;
- TOEFL: Score of 35 to 45.
* Students who have not yet achieved this direct entry standard can take an Academic English Programme as follows:
- 2.2 - For English Level IELTS 4.5: 12 Week Academic English Course
- 2.3 - For English Level IELTS 4.0: 25 Week Academic English Course
Successful applicants for the International Foundation Year will have guaranteed accommodation on campus.
As a part of the experience of staying on a university campus you can benefit from the useful campus facilities and services right on your doorstep!
DCU also offers host family and off-campus accommodation.
NCUK and DCU - Additional information
The DCU International Foundation Year, quality assured by NCUK, is an undergraduate entry-level qualification designed for students to progress into first year of a bachelor’s degree at DCU. The qualification is taught by highly experienced DCU teaching staff and awarded by NCUK.
NCUK is a leading international higher education qualification and service provider with over 30 years’ experience and has helped more than 35,000 students progress into university.
The NCUK Registration & Examination Fee is €1,045 and is payable within 4 weeks of course commencement