International Foundation Year
Develop the English language and academic skills you need to succeed in an Undergraduate Bachelor degree at Dublin City University. Register your Interest >>
The International Foundation Year programme is designed for International Students who need to acquire English language and/or the academic levels required for entry onto undergraduate degree programmes at DCU.
The programme is taken on a full-time basis over one academic year (2 semesters) and covers a mixture of core and specialist modules. The core modules are designed to help achieve the English language skills necessary for DCU programmes and help facilitate your adjustment to university learning in an Irish context. The specialist modules allow students a choice of “streams” and subjects according to their chosen destination degree programme.
Identify the DCU Bachelor degree programme that you wish to study. See DCU Prospectus 2021.
You can choose from three stream routes:
Pathways to DCU Undergraduate Programmes
DCU offers a number of different pathways for students depending on individual academic levels.
If you do not meet the academic and English level requirements to study on our Undergraduate Programmes, you can take one of our Pre-sessional Programmes that are focused on English preparation.
Are you still unsure about which course is more suitable for you?
Get in touch with us. I would be glad to help you out!
What will this course offer you?
- Equip you with the knowledge, skills and confidence to commence your DCU undergraduate studies.
- Entry to more than 200 degree programmes available across five faculties.
- Tailored pathway specifically designed for international students.
- Progression even into highly competitive degrees.
How can I apply for the International Foundation Year?
To apply for a programme, please:
- Identify the DCU Bachelor degree programme that you wish to study. See DCU Prospectus 2021.
- Submit your application to Intl.Pathways@dcu.ie and receive advice on the appropriate foundation programme for you.
- Your application will be assessed and if approved you will receive an offer to study on both the Foundation programme and Bachelor degree programme at DCU.
- Successful completion of your foundation programme guarantees progression to your Bachelor programme.
Entry Requirements (Academic)
The following are the academic requirements for entry to the DCU International Foundation Year programme.
- Good overall results from a high-school qualification equivalent of 5 GCSE’s in A to C grade range including Mathematics and English.
- Are you still unsure about our academic entry requirements? Get in touch with us.
Entry Requirements (English Level)
Direct entry into the International Foundation Year Programme requires the following English level:
- IELTS: Overall score of 5.0 or above;
- TOEFL: Score of 35 to 45.
* Students who have not yet achieved this direct entry standard can take pre-sessional English courses as follows:
- For English Level IELTS 4.5: 12 Week Academic English Course
- For English Level IELTS 4.0: 25 Week Academic English Course
Successful applicants for the International Foundation Year will have guaranteed accommodation on campus.
As a part of the experience of staying on a university campus you can benefit from the useful campus facilities and services right on your doorstep!
DCU also offers host family and off-campus accommodation.